Match Report – Esh Winning 1 – 2 Jarrow FC – 15.08.18

Off the back of two solid results against Durham City & Tow Law the Stags were forced to make several changes to key players; injuries, holidays & work schedules resulting in a youthful looking side.

The game started with the youthful exuberance of the Esh front three getting the better of Jarrow with some quick interlinking play. The first chance falling to the dangerous looking Jayven Redman who hit a half volley from the corner of the area, testing English in the Jarrow goal.

It was more good work from Redman reacting to a deep cross and forcing the ball towards goal, the scramble fell to Reece Brown some 30 yards out, with English out of his goal. Brown strikes the ball hard just going over an open goal by a few inches.

Jarrow started to dominate the game after 10 minutes, Steven Graham flashing wide from 20 yards and a superb double save from Heiniger in the Esh goal. Saving first from Hargrave before getting up sharply to deny Higham with the snap shot. The resulting corner not being dealt with by the defence left Aidan McGee with a free header, looking like he was wheeling away to celebrate Heiniger pulled out a superb save to tip around the post to ensure the stalemate continued.

27′ Goal Esh Winning 1 (R. Brown) – 0 Jarrow FC

Unlike recent matches it was The Stags turn to strike against the run of play, a harmless looking punt up field looked like it was to be shepperded out by McGee, Jayven Redman having different ideas harrassed the defender and expertly nicked it off him on the byline. Looking up he played the ball to an umarked Reece Brown, who used his favoured left foot to sweep the ball into the top corner of the goal, English getting the barest of touches on it to send it in off the inside of the post to give the Stags the lead.

The goal seemed to give Esh the control over the game they lacked earlier on, dominating the rest of the half with good chances coming and going for Brown, Redman and Max Stoker hammering the ball into the post with the whole ground expecting the net to ripple.

Jarrow had an absolute gilt edged chance on the stroke of half time falling to Hargrave who 10 yards out shanked his shot out for a throw in.

HT: Esh Winning 1 – 0 Jarrow

47′ Goal  – Esh Winning 1 – 1 (Mellish) Jarrow FC

A slow start from the Stags saw Jarrow force a corner, the ball being whipped in saw an unmarked Jordan Mellish make no mistake and level the game up

48′ Esh Winning 1 – 2 (Higham) Jarrow FC

I mentioned a slow start, well the whole game turned on its head whilst the Esh lads were getting back up to speed, a ball from the left wing split keeper and defence to leave Jonathan Higham the simplest task of nodding the ball into the net to put Jarrow into the lead

The game descended into a poor poor spectacle both teams being unable to string a few passes together and making it a dour second half. The only chance a long range effort by Callum Boakes that looked more dangerous than it was with English simply plucking the ball out of the air

One final chance to Esh in the 94th minute saw a dangerous cross reach the head of Boakes 12 yards out, stood right behind him it looked for all the world to have stolen a point for the stags, until a superb save by English secured the win for Jarrow.

EWFC XI: Heiniger, Mordue, Young, M. Stoker (c), Blackbourne, Summerson, McKellar, Mitchell (Halpin ’51), Swift, Redman, Brown (g)(Boakes ’46)

Unused Subs: D. Johnson, S. Johnson, K. Stoker

Referee: G. Sloanes

Assistants: J.Harkess, C.Stores

Attendance: 63

Match Reporter: Adam Wilding

All views are my own and do not neccisarily represent those of the club



Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s