Match Report – Esh Winning 3 – 0 Alnwick Town – 2.9.17

Apologies for the lack of a match report the past couple of games, work commitments have made it an impossible ask, but from an Esh perspective; what a game to be back for!

A pleasantly warm Autumn afternoon welcomed the two teams, with an Esh side making several changes from the disappointing result against Brandon United on Wednesday night.

The first chance fell The Stags way, a dangerous corner from Reece Brown was just missed by Max Stoker climbing at the back post with the goal gaping.

Alnwick’s best match of the entire match fell to Lewis Coyle in the 7th minute, after good work from Stephen Young rounding Mark Fish who came out to narrow the angle before squaring the ball to Lewis Coyle who pulled the ball a foot wide of the right hand post trying to beat Stoker and Wilkinson back on the Esh line.

The following 30 minutes was dominated by Esh without troubling the scorers, good chances falling to Daniel Kent, Nicky Marley and Reece Brown, with Esh playing some lovely football.

37′ Goal:- Esh Winning 1 (Kent) – 0 Alnwick Town

A lovely team goal gave Esh the deserved lead, Reece Brown winning the tackle, playing the ball to Gav Brown, who plays a perfectly weighted ball bringing the keeper into no mans land, Daniel Kent nipping in just in time to guide the ball into the gaping net for a much deserved lead.

44′ Goal:- Esh Winning 2 (Own Goal – Tom McPherson) – 0 Alnwick Town

With Esh dominating a second goal looked all the likely and so it proved, Jonathan Swift with a quick throw to Nick Marley, who lays it back to Swift, puts the ball in, Matty Allison at the back post with quick feet takes it past Kieran Hogg before squaring the ball. The unfortunate Tom McPherson, slotting the ball into his own bottom right corner to give Esh a more comfortable looking lead.

The last attack came from a Reece Brown free kick, causing carnage before the ball finds its way to Jonathan Swift who blazes over from 6 yards.

HT: Esh Winning 2 – 0 Alnwick Town

The second half started in much the same fashion as the first, the chance falling to Daniel Kent, a flick through from Marley sending Kent clean through, Todd sticking his right foot out manages to thwart Kent with the ball looping up in the the air with Hogg managing to nip in front of Kent to sweep up.

Alnwicks only chance of the second half came from a defensive mix up, the ball falling to Stephen Young clean through on Mark Fish, on the penalty spot Fishy manages to stand tall and make a superb save to stop him changing the game.

Back to the Esh dominance, Nick Marley after a flick through from Swift strikes a viscous shot before Hogg again clears the ball off the line to save Alnwick.

Goal 68′ Esh Winning 3 (Swift) – 0 Alnwick Town

Killing the game off Jonathan Swift reacts well to a superb ball through from Matty Allison, rounding the left back before unleashing a rocket of a half volley from 20 yards out on his left foot into the bottom right corner of the goal to give Esh a deserved cushion.

The last 20 minutes saw a controversial moment, Stephen Young slotting the ball past Mark Fish in the Esh goal, only to see the flag raised for offside, in all fairness he did look a couple of yards offside from the position I was stood.

FT: Esh Winning 3 – 0 Alnwick Town

A superb performance by Esh saw the third win of the season, after last weeks report I feel it only fair to commend the performance of referee Oliver Althwaite, he managed the game very well and let the game flow. No cautions to either side was very fair and whilst there where a few that could have seen Yellow, it was a pleasing sight to see a referee just talk the players, so thank you for that.

Esh XI: Fish, Mordue (Mohammed 72′), Johnson, Stoker (c), G. Brown, Wilkinson, R. Brown (Hunter 54′), M. Allison, Marley, Kent (g)(Taylor 70′), Swift (g)

Unused Subs: Hannant, Hird

Alnwick Town: Todd, Laidlaw, Bright, McPherson, Hogg, Keenan, Robson, Brown, Young, Coyle, Hay

Subs: Jackson, Ridell, Laivers

Referee: O. Althwaite

Assistants: J. Dredge, M. Smith

Attendance: 51

Match Reporter:

Adam Wilding

All views in this article are my own and do not necessarily represent those of the club



Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s